Utility knifes can be tactical, but my idea of a tactical knife is something with a good sharp edge that can be used defensively, can pry things open and also be used to cut a seat belt without sawing it. Folding knifes are in their own category and I know some people frown on them, but you gotta use what you have and know in your mind what it is capable of withstanding and what it can be used for.
I think that sums up about 75% of what the tactical knives market and the remaining 25% have a different reason they own a knife. I think a lot of America has lost the idea of how useful a knife is these days, probable because people have access to so many fancy tools that the idea of having to sit there an sharpen something that knife owners know is a tool, is something they don’t understand. Nowadays, most highway emergency reponse and law enforcment are carrying knives that can slice a seat belt in half a second.